As human beings, we all want to retain our independence and be self-sufficient as long as we live. However, due to the age factor, many of us may become immobile or have limited mobility, and an electric scooter specially made for the elderly comes in handy in such situations.
In this article, you will be taken through the following topics: the need for a foldable electric scooter for elderly people, a roundup and review of the best foldable electric scooters on Amazon, and buying tips that may help you, and safety factors.
A brief comparison of the features of the top foldable electric scooters for elderly
|Model||Price Range||Power||Max Speed||Load Capacity||Charge Time||Weight||Age||Range||Warranty|
|Glion Snap n Go 3- wheel||$$||250W||7 mph||300 lbs||3.5 hours||31 lbs||16+||15 mi||12 mo||Check Price|
|EV Rider Transport Plus||$$||270W||4 mph||250 lbs||4-6 hours||46 lbs||16+||10-15 mi||12 mo||Check Price|
|Vive 3-wheel||$||288W||3.7 mph||265 lbs||12 hours||29 lbs||16+||12.4 mi||60 mo||Check Price|
|EV Rider Transport AF+||$$||270W||4 mph||250 lbs||6 hours||44 lbs||16+||10-15 mi||12 mo||Check Price|
|EV Rider Mini Rider||$$||270W||4 mph||253 lbs||8 hours||49 lbs||16+||9 mi||12 mo||Check Price|
Need for a foldable electric scooter for elderly people.
Many elderly people, due to age-related factors, suffer limited mobility issues and are unable to move out independently on their own. They have to depend on a wheelchair and an assistant to take them around. A good foldable electric scooter specially built for elderly people can solve some of these issues.
The electric scooter for the elderly has many features like a comfortable and swivel seat, easy to turn and maneuver, battery (rechargeable) powered, user-friendly controls, and comes with three or four wheels.
Electric scooters for the elderly are available for indoor as well as outdoor use, and they can be taken inside a grocery or departmental store. An electric scooter built for the elderly, helps elderly people to move to parks with their grandkids and have all the fun.
When you gift an electric scooter for the elderly to your aged mom or dad, you are gifting them their independence to move out and meet their friends, do shopping, and perform many other activities.
The best part is that these electric scooters for the elderly, are easily folded, and transported in a car. Some of the electric scooters for the elderly can even be taken in an airplane when you are traveling.
Review of the best foldable electric scooters for the elderly
1. Glion Snap n Go 3-wheel mobility scooter
- Easily foldable, just lift the seat out and fold the stem, and 31 Lbs. is the weight to be handled and lifted.
- Comfortable seat with adjustable position, detachable armrests, and swiveling type. Lightweight travel seat is available as an optional accessory.
- 36 Volts, 6.4 Amps Panasonic lithium battery gives 15 miles per charge and you can swap another spare battery for additional miles. 250 Watts brushless hub motor on the front wheel.
- Safe maneuverability with tight turning radius on any smooth surface. Maximum speed 7 MPH and supports a maximum weight of 300 Lbs.
- Aircraft-grade aluminum frame with powder coating.
User reviews are good. One user appreciated that he was able to use it without any assistance.CHECK PRICE
2. EV Rider Transport Plus
- The total weight of the scooter is 70 Lbs. However, after taking out the seat and the battery, it is only 46 Lbs. for lifting and handling.
- 270 Watts 4-pole motor. Articulated front wheels for stability.10 to 15 miles per battery charge. Lights at front and rear. 2 numbers 12 Volts 12 Amps SLA battery. Charging time 4-6 hours.
- Digital display, removable seat, unique design concept for folding, and you can fit armrests if needed. Comes with anti-tipper wheels.
- Maximum weight capacity-250 Lbs. Maximum speed-4 MPH. Suitable for both indoors and outdoors.
User reviews are normally good, with one or two users not very happy with this. One user wrote that this is good only for hard and smooth paths and not meant for rough terrains.CHECK PRICE
3. Vive 3-wheel mobility scooter
- Safe and good maneuverability on any smooth surface (concrete, tiles, pavement, and carpet). Maximum weight capacity-265 Lbs.
- 7 MPH and 12.4 miles per battery charge. Charger and basket included.
- Comfortable seat with height adjustment and swivels for easy boarding and exit. Flippable and adjustable armrests.
- Can be disassembled quickly into 4 pieces for easy portability, with the largest part weighing 29 Lbs.
- The control panel allows you to set the maximum speed, change from forward to reverse direction, turn on the headlight, and turn on the warning tone. The display also indicates battery life by color codes.
Customer reviews are positive and encouraging. Users have admired the battery life and one user cautioned to be careful when moving on gradients.CHECK PRICE
4. EV Rider Transport AF+
- Automatic three-step folding with one touch on the remote control.
- Easy maneuverability at home, at airports, and on any flat surface. Maximum weight capacity-250 Lbs.
- 270 watts 4-pole motor powered by 8.7 Amps Lithium battery. 10-15 miles per charge. Maximum speed-4 MPH.
- Articulated front wheels for stability, LED headlight, adjustable height tiller, ignition key, dual hand two-way throttle control.
- Compact size-17.3Êº Ã— 16.5Êº Ã— 28.7Êº. Weight-44 Lbs.
- 8Êº Ã— 2Êº flat-free drive (rear) wheels, and 7Êº Ã— 1.6Êº flat-free front wheels. Digital display. Removable seat, with optional armrests.
User reviews are generally good. One user cautioned this is not meant for bumpy roads with potholes, and another user wrote that the seat may not accommodate obese people.CHECK PRICE
5. EV Rider Mini Rider Folding
- Reverse switch, fully folding, and automatic braking system. Puncture-proof tires.
- Maximum weight capacity-253 Lbs. Range 9 miles per battery charge. SLA battery.
- Easily maneuver the narrow corridors inside your apartment or bungalow.
User reviews are mixed. One user comment is that the elderly person cannot lift the folded scooter for loading it in the car.CHECK PRICE
6. Travel Pro premium 3-wheel
- Three wheels style provides good maneuverability even in tight spaces with its sharp turning radius.
- Maximum speed-4 MPH. Range-6.3 miles per battery charge. Maximum weight capacity-275 Lbs. Front basket for storage. 2Ã— 12 Volts batteries.
- Flat-free tires. Forward and reverse controls. The electric scooter can be disassembled into 5 pieces with the heaviest weighing 27.5 Lbs. and has good portability.
- Adjustable padded seat with adjustable height and flip able armrests for a comfortable ride and easy boarding and exit.
- Suitable for indoor and outdoor. The specification includes a cup holder and saddlebag.
- Product dimensions-37Êº Ã— 19.5Êº Ã— 21Êº and weight-126 Lbs.
User reviews are good. One user experienced tripling when using the uneven road.CHECK PRICE
7. BUZZAROUND EX Extreme 4-wheel
- Maximum speed-5 MPH. Range-18 miles per battery charge. Front and rear suspension. Adjustable seat with swivel. Storage basket.
- Maximum weight capacity-330 Lbs. Bright LED headlight and taillight. 2 Ã— 12 Volts batteries.
User reviews are positive. One user mentioned that the scooter can be disassembled into 4 pieces and fits well in his small SUV. Another user wrote that the swivel seat makes boarding and exiting easy.[ CHECK PRICE
8. Phoenix 4-wheel Heavy Duty Scooter by Drive Medical
- Maximum weight capacity-350 Lbs. Maximum speed-4 MPH. Range -15 miles per battery charge. 2 Ã— 12 Volts batteries.
- Bright LED headlight and USB charging port for a smartphone. Easy to adjust tiller. Storage basket.
- Quick disassembly (into 5 pieces) and assembly, with quick-connect batteries. Includes interchangeable red and blue color panels.
- Comfortable and adjustable seat with backrest and adjustable armrests. Ergonomic throttle control and easy freewheel operation.
User reviews are positive.CHECK PRICE
9. Golden Technologies Buzzaround XL 3-Wheel Power scooter
- A cup holder and rear basket come as a free accessory.
- Range-up to 13 miles per battery charge. Maximum speed-4 MPH.
- Easy disassembly (into 5 pieces) and assembly.
- Maximum weight capacity-300 Lbs. More foot and legroom. Adjustable LED headlight.
User reviews are good. One user cautioned that the range per battery charge comes down if you go on a bumpy road.CHECK PRICE
10. Drive Medical SFSCOUT4 Spitfire Scout 4
- Electromagnetic brake. Easy to adjust tiller. Convenient throttle control and easy freewheel operation.
- Height-adjustable swivel seat with adjustable armrests, and backrest.
- Quick disassembly (into 5 pieces) and assembly with interchangeable red and blue color panels.
- Quick connect 12 amps Lithium battery. Range up to 9 miles per battery charge. Maximum speed-4.25 MPH.24 Volts, 270 Watts motor. Maximum weight capacity-300 Lbs.
- 8Êº Ã— 2Êº flat-free front and rear tires and anti-trip wheels. Storage gasket.
User reviews are mixed. One user commented that this is good for indoor use only.CHECK PRICE
11. Easy Travel Elite folding lightweight 3-wheels electric mobility scooter
- Maximum weight capacity-250 Lbs. Speed-3.7 MPH.
- The storage bin under the seat. Easy steering. Front-wheel driven scooter. Heaviest part 27 Lbs. after disassembly.
User reviews are mixed.CHECK PRICE
12. ATTO Folding Mobility 3-wheels Scooter
- Easy and fast foldability and portability. Anti-flat airless wheels. Optimized for people who are frequent travelers, including by air.
- Maximum weight capacity-220 Lbs. Maximum speed-4 MPH. Range-up to 12 (4.5 hours) miles per battery charge.
- LED display and buzzer. Reverse mode. Adjustable tiller. Brushless DC motor on the front wheel. Height adjustable and comfortable seat.
User reviews are generally positive, and there are one or two who did not like this scooter.CHECK PRICE
The first thing you should decide before looking for a good electric scooter for the elderly is “the purpose“, that is “whether you want to use it for indoor movement or outdoor movement” because an electric scooter for the elderly for indoor use should be compact, have good maneuverability and ease of steering, preferably with three wheels, comfortable and swivel seat (for ease of getting in or out), and suitable for the person’s weight. An indoor electric scooter needs a flat surface for movement and may not be suitable for outdoor.
On the other hand, an outdoor electric scooter for the elderly can be with three or four wheels and should have all the features of an indoor electric scooter. Besides, it should have an optimum speed, good battery life, wheels suitable for rough terrain, and a fast charger. However, there are electric scooters for the elderly which claim suitability for both indoor and outdoor use.
An ideal foldable electric scooter for the elderly should have the following features:
- Lightweight, easily foldable, easily storable, and transportable in a car by the elderly person who is using it.
- Able to take it in an airplane during his/her travel by air.
- Safety features like anti trip wheels, and easy to operate good brakes.
- Comfortable seat, armrest, headrest, and swivel-seat for ease of getting in and out.
- Convenient and easily reachable controls, optimum speed, and good quality battery with sufficient miles per charge.
- Ease of steering and maneuverability.
- .Ease of moving on the flat as well as rough terrains.
- Maximum carrying weight.
- Fully electric, where the folding and unfolding of the scooter can be done using the remote button.
- Sufficient storage space for shopping as well as to keep personal belongings.
- Smartphone charging facility.
- Visibility at night with lights and reflectors.
- Easy to assemble and disassemble.
- A good suspension (especially for outdoor use).
- Read the owner’s manual thoroughly and understand it.
- Check periodically and ensure all the nuts and bolts are tight since the fasteners tend to get loosened during use.
- Drive safely, specific care must be taken when riding on gradients, and gravel or rough terrain.
- Understand the controls thoroughly.
- Do not ride the electric scooter in rain or water. This is not safe. The electric scooter is not water-resistant.
- It is safe to ride the electric scooter alone, the scooter may become unsafe and lose balance with the extra person on it.
- All electric scooters for the elderly are not tolerant to bumps and potholes, hence be watchful when you ride.
Electric scooters for the elderly can bring back independence and fun into the life of elderly people who are not able to move out on their own due to age-related issues. However, the need for each individual may differ, and this should be kept in mind when you are buying it.