Riding an electric scooter is fun and your child will love it. Indulging your kids in activities like riding an electric scooter can be a pleasant and healthy change from their tiring school work (and watching TV?).
In this article, we will be exploring and reviewing a few electric scooters for 5 and 6 years old children, discussing issues like “is it safe for 5 and 6-year-olds to ride an electric scooter”, guidelines that may be helpful to you for buying an electric scooter for your child, and safety factors.
Are there any electric scooters for 5 and 6-year-olds?
Yes, there are a few electric scooters that can be ridden by 5 and 6-year-olds, under parental supervision (speed 2 to 8 MPH). Then there are electric scooters, which have a speed of 10 MPH, and are recommended by the manufacturer for 8-year-olds and above; however, since the speed is 10 MPH, this may be suitable for some 6 years old children with an above-average physique. In either case, considering their tender age, parental supervision is a must and the riding should be limited to your driveways, pavement, and parks.
Best e-scooters for kids
Below is a comparison chart with important features of the best electric scooters for 5 and 6-year-olds.
|Model||Price Range||Power||Max Speed||Load Capacity||Charge Time||Weight||Age||Range||Warranty|
|Razor Jr. E Scooter (3 wheels)||$||12 W||2 mph||44 lbs||12 hrs||8.2 lbs||3+||2 mi||3 mo||Check Price|
|Urban Drift||$$||120 W||3.7 mph||110 lbs||2 hours||10 lbs||6-12||3.1 mi||6 mo||Check Price|
|Gotrax GKS||$$||150 W||7.5 mph||154 lbs||4-5 hrs||17.8 lbs||6-12||4 mi||3 mo||Check Price|
|Segway Ninebot ekick Scooter Zing E8||$$||130 W||8.7 mph||110 lbs||3-4 hrs||17.6 lbs||6-12||6.3 mi||3 mo||Check Price|
|Mongoose React Electric Kids Scooter E1||$$||24 W||6 mph||120 lbs||5 hours||120 lbs||8+||7.5 mi||3 mo||Check Price|
1. Razor Jr. E Scooter (3-wheels)
- This can be a starting electric scooter for 5-year-olds if it is their first experience with an electric scooter. The manufacturer’s recommendation is for children ages 3 and above.
- Features like speed up to 2 MPH (3 KMPH), dual-rear-wheel drive train, large comfortable deck, foam grips, and front braking are friendlier and fun to your child.
- This has “GO” button throttle which slowly builds the speed to the maximum (“soft start” technology) and stops on the release of the button.
- Steel frame construction and rechargeable 6 Volts sealed lead-acid battery with a run time of up to 40 minutes (continuous use).
- Product dimension: 12″ — 23.5″ — 23″
User reviews are mixed, and many have commented on the motor sound. Please go through the user reviews before making a decision.
2. Urban Drift Electric Scooter for kids
- The manufacturer’s recommended age is 6 to 12 years old, however since the maximum speed is 3.7 MPH, it may be suitable for 5-year-olds, if they can comfortably reach the handlebar and controls.
- 120 watts rear hub motor gives a maximum speed of 3.7 MPH.
- Kick and push the electric scooter to 2.5 MPH and step on the sensor button to accelerate up to 3.7 MPH. 24 Volts Lithium-ion battery gives a range of 3.1 miles on a single charge. Fast charge in 2 hours.
- Product dimension: 29.13Êº (L) Ã— 14.2Êº (W) Ã— (4 levels adjustable handlebar) H (28.7Êº, 30.3Êº, 31.88Êº, and 33.46Êº)
- Available colors- Pink and blue.
- Can be used as an ordinary kick scooter when the battery is dead.
User reviews are positive.
3. Gotrax GKS Electric Scooter
- Product dimensions: 34Êº Ã— 15Êº Ã— 32Êº and weight-17.8 Lbs.
- Your child can use this scooter as both an electric and kick scooter. Place one foot on the front button and push (kick) the scooter above 1.8 MPH and then place the other foot on the gravity sensor to accelerate up to 7.5 MPH.
- Your child can easily master this scooter (with your guidance), and the GKS scooter accelerates smoothly. Your child can lift his/her foot from the rear gravity sensor to slow down and can safely stop the scooter by placing the foot on the fender brake.
- 150 Watts 6Êº motor mounted on the rear wheel is powered by 25.2 Volts Lithium-ion Battery (range is 4 miles per charge).
The user reviews are generally positive.
4. Segway Ninebot ekickScooter Zing E8
- The rear wheel is driven by a powerful 130 Watts hub motor. Maximum range up to 6.3 miles.
- This scooter is equipped with a high-performance hand brake, EBS (Electronic Braking System), and the rear fender has a brake function, to give a safe ride to your child. The front wheel has a shock absorber to give a smooth ride.
- Available in vibrant colors, blue and pink.
- The battery pack integrates the lithium-ion battery, controller, and BMS intelligent battery control system into one module.
- Elastic solid rubber tires are designed for wear-resistance, with redesigned tread for better grip and anti-skid feature; and there is no need to inflate the tires.
- This scooter is only 3.9Êº above the ground. The low center of gravity and closeness to the ground enable your child to ride and control the scooter easily.
- 3M reflective sticker on the fender for added safety.
The user reviews are generally good and positive, however, one user cautioned about the small wheels and his advice is to keep your kid on smooth pavement or similar surfaces.
5. Mongoose React Electric Kids Scooter E1
- The manufacturer’s recommended age is 8 years old and above, however since the maximum speed is 6 MPH, it may be suitable for 6-year-olds, if they can comfortably reach the handlebar and controls.
- The motor drives the rear wheel through a belt. Kick and push start the scooter and use the press button throttle to accelerate.
- Powered by a lead-acid battery, this scooter can travel up to 7.5 miles on a single charge. The charging time is 5 hours. When the battery charge is over, your child can use it as an ordinary scooter.
- The rear foot brake disengages the motor and makes stopping the scooter safe and simple.
The user reviews are mixed, some have given a thumbs down, while some have given a good and positive review. You may have to do some research before you decide.
6. Swagtron SK1 Electric Scooter for kids
- This scooter is ASTM F2641 certified, meaning it’s recommended for ages from 8 till 12, however since the maximum speed is 6.2 MPH, it may be suitable for 6-year-olds if they can comfortably reach the handlebar and controls. On the official manufacturer’s website, they write it’s suitable for ages of 5 and up.
- Colors available-Firetruck Red and Cotton-Candy Pink.
- Your child can use this electric scooter like a kick scooter until the speed reaches 3 MPH and then the speed will be boosted up to a maximum of 6.2 MPH.
- You can manage and rise the adjustable stem height and your kid can use this scooter for a long time.
User reviews are positive and one user bought it for his 6-year-old kid.
7. Swagtron SK3 Electric Scooter for kids
- The manufacturer’s recommended age is 8-12 years old and up to 135 Lbs., however since the maximum speed is 7.5 MPH, it may be suitable for 6-year-olds, if they can comfortably reach the handlebar and controls.
- Your child can give a couple of kicks to move the SK3 scooter and the automatic “boost and cruise” motor will give a maximum speed of up to 7.5 MPH.
- The 4.7″ LED front wheel will add to the style.
- The aluminum stem is adjustable from 31.9″ to 38″ for comfortable and long years of use.
User reviews are both positive and negative.
8. Pulse Performance Scooter
- The manufacturer’s recommended age is 8 years old and above, and up to 120 Lbs., however since the maximum speed is 8 MPH, it may be suitable for 6-year-olds, if they can comfortably reach the handlebar and controls.
- Two-wheeled electric scooter with the rear wheel chain driven by an 80 watts motor.
- The steel frame is designed with a heavy-duty contoured stem and handlebars for durability, protection, and to ensure a safe ride to your child.
- Easy to use Push-to-go-technology thumb actuated throttle and a rear foot brake for added safety.
- 12 volts rechargeable battery which allows your child to have continuous fun for up to 50 minutes.
- Product dimensions: 31Êº Length Ã— 18Êº width Ã— 35Êº height.
User reviews are a mixed reaction, and one user found this electric scooter suitable for his 6-year-old.
9. Razor E 100 Electric Scooter
- This scooter is recommended for 8-year-olds and above, and you may go for this for your 6-year-old, only if your child already has experience on a low-speed electric scooter and is tall enough to handle this.
- This scooter is powered by a 100 watt, high torque, single-speed, motor and it drives the rear wheel through a chain.
- Steel frame construction and rechargeable 24 (2Ã—12) Volts sealed lead-acid battery with a continuous run time of up to 40 minutes (6.5 miles range).
- The height is not adjustable.
- E 100 has a compact frame of kid-size, kick to start, and hand-operated throttle and brake controls.
The user reviews are mixed reactions, please make a study before taking your decision.
Is it safe for 5 and 6-year-olds to ride an electric scooter?
Riding electric scooters is fun and your child will appreciate and enjoy it. Riding a bike powered by your child’s legs can be tiresome, however, riding an electric scooter will be full of fun. Generally, the electric scooters recommended for 5 and 6 years old children have a maximum speed from 2 MPH to 8 MPH. You as a parent know your child best and choose the electric scooter which has a comfortable height and speed. Keep your child’s safety a top priority while making your decision. You can start with a kick scooter before going for an electric scooter, and this will prepare your child for the electric scooter.
Useful guidelines and tips for buying an electric scooter for your child.
- Consider your child’s height, and his/her confidence level before you decide to go for an electric scooter. Buy a kick scooter and let your child gain experience and master it, before allowing the child to ride an electric scooter.
- Your child must be comfortable reaching the handlebar, handle controls, and foot controls. To ensure this, check your child’s height and the dimensions of the electric scooter.
- The maximum speed of the electric scooter should be comfortable and safe for your child. Kid’s electric scooters come with different maximum speeds. For a 5 years old kid, a maximum speed of 2 to 4 MPH may be suitable, and for a 6 years old kid a maximum speed of 6 to 8.5 MPH may be suitable. However, you as a parent are the best judge here, take a decision based on your child’s physique, the experience of riding a kick scooter, and comfort level.
- The electric scooter must have a good and safe brake system. The brakes should be able to control the speed and stop the scooter gradually. Rear brakes are preferred and safe.
- Most of the kid electric scooters do not have horns, and lights, you can add this as an additional.
- Check the size of the footboard and ensure it is comfortable for your child.
- It is a good idea to make a list of your wants and requirements for your child’s electric scooter before you start your buying research. Remember to add your child’s preferred colors and features like LEDs.
- Check the battery capacity and its range (miles) per charge.
- The electric scooter must be foldable and easy to assemble.
- Electric scooters are power-driven machines and they are not toys. Even though electric scooters are low-speed and safe, unfortunate accidents cannot be completely ruled out. Your child must wear safety gear like a good quality helmet, full pants, and jacket. You may also like your child to wear knee and elbow pads, especially for beginners.
- Read the owner’s manual thoroughly and understand it and explain to your child.
- Set the scooter upright and ensure all the nuts and bolts are tight before allowing your child to ride the electric scooter. You may have to do this exercise every time since the fasteners tend to get loosened during use.
- Allow your child to ride only under your supervision. Limit your child’s riding to your drive area, neighborhood pavements, and parks. Take away the child’s toys and any other item which distracts the child’s attention. Teach your child to drive safely.
- Teach your child to start slowly, and how to master the throttle and the brakes.
- It is a good time to introduce your child to the traffic and road rules and care for fellow riders.
- Do not allow your child to ride the electric scooter in rain or water. This is not safe. The electric scooter is not water-resistant.
- Strictly instruct your child to do solo riding only, no buddies. The scooter will become unsafe and lose balance with the extra person on it.
- Kid’s electric scooters are not tolerant to bumps and potholes, hence ensure the path selected by you for your child’s riding has an even surface.
- Teach your child about parking the bike when it is not used, because somebody may topple after stepping on the kid’s scooter lying on a driveway.
You may go through this website https://www.razor.com/blog/electric-scooter-safety-rules/ for a comprehensive list of electric scooter safety rules since many of these will even apply to kid riders.
Riding an electric scooter will be a fun activity for your child, however, allow them to ride under your supervision only. Keep the safety of your child as the topmost priority when you are buying an electric scooter for your kids.